We’ve all seen the “Hot Takes” from the last weekend’s games all over the net.
In this series, I’m letting some time pass, and after reviewing the game tape a couple of times, I’m going to share some “Cold Takes.” about the Bears demolition of the Buffalo Bills. I’ll also sprinkle in a few thoughts about our division rivals. These are just a series of my thoughts and observations about the game as well as the Bears in general up until this point, presented in no particular order.
- My game ball goes to Kyle Fuller, who had a hand (literally) in all three Bears interceptions. Monster game from Fuller. There’s a reason most teams are not throwing in his direction much this season.
- Shout out yet again to Leonard Floyd, who had probably his best game of the season. You know the stats, and the pick 6, but what really set this game up for Floyd was the way he demolished the run.
- Roquan Smith was nominated for awards this week, and he had three very good quarters. Having said that, he had some issues on coverage, allowing 11 for 11 completions. Now, having said THAT, a lot of those passes were of the short-quick variety that netted very little.
- Did you realize there was an all-time record set in this game? Nathan Peterman had 31 completions… those 31 completions also only amounted to 189 passing yards. As Nick Veronica pointed out on Twitter, Peterman is now the holder of the NFL record for fewest passing yards when completing 30 or more passes (thanks to Buffalo Rumblings for this one)
- It was such an odd game, it was actually hard for the offense to really do much yardage-wise when the D kept giving them such great field position. I love it.
- Kyle Fuller is tied for the league lead in interceptions. If only he could be leading in sole possession of the #1 slot by intercepting Aaron Rodgers week 1. If only.
- Green Bay management are nuts. Instead of finding a way to get Clinton-Dix fixed, they traded him… and then they cut Jermaine Whitehead without having anybody to replace him. True, a combination of “me first Clinton-Dix” & Whitehead were not a great safety tandem, but it has to be better than “what’s his name” and “that other what’s his name” they will be rolling out this weekend.
- I’m glad to see that Ameer Abdullah got picked up by the Vikings. We can use the turnovers in our upcoming games.
- In the long run, the trade of Golden Tate may well work out for the best for the Lions. Last weekend, though, it may have cost them the game and CERTAINLY cost them some sacks.
- I admit I’m a bit perplexed when I read the whole “when Chicago gets it’s offense sorted out” stories… do these writers not realize that Chicago are a top 5 team this season in overall scoring at 29.4 points per game so far and 11th in offensive Scoring with 25.9 PPG? (Corrected, see first comment below).
- Of course, a large part of Chicago’s scoring is the short fields that Vic Fangio’s defense is giving the Bears. Love that turnover ratio! Chicago is +10, second only to (and who would have thought this) Cleveland. Tampa Bay is dead last at a whopping -15, and yes, we helped on that.
- Speaking of statistics, following the four sacks against the Bills (and a few extra pelvic thrusts thrown in) the Bears have 24 on the season, which is good for a tie with Detroit and others for 7th league wide, one behind Green Bay. Minnesota leads the NFL with 31 after demolishing Detroit with 10 sacks last week.
- Chicago is second in the league in interceptions this year with 14, one behind Miami. Last year we had 8 interceptions for the season, slotting in at 29th league wide.
- Chicago is also tied with Cleveland for second in forced fumbles this year with 13, one behind league leader Buffalo. Last year Chicago finished 8th in the league with 17 forced fumbles.
- Cody Parkey is 20th in the league in field goal percentage at 81.3. Parkey is one of 12 kickers who is perfect on extra points. Cleveland’s kickers are at 69.2 percent on their extra points for the year. Ugh.
- Pat O’Donnell is at 41.1 in net yardage, 16th overall. He’s 17th at inside the 20.
- Chicago’s punt return defense is tied for 7th in the league in yards allowed.
- Kevin White was a healthy inactive, and I find that interesting. I suspect this was a “situational” thing, where the coaching staff decided that Buffalo’s defensive weaknesses were better exploited by a more versatile wideout. Any way you look at it, a year-four player… a contract year player at that… being a healthy scratch? Buh bye, Kev.
- Dear Ryan Pace. Sign Bryce Callahan to an extension. Thank you.
- Every win Chicago has makes the price we paid to the Raiders significantly cheaper. Yes, it’s a sunk cost, but a low first rounder is a lot less valuable than a high one. A LOT less. Speaking of the Raiders…
- Jon Gruden said recently that “We liked what we did the last time” when the Raiders played the Chargers. The Chargers won 26-10 (the game wasn’t that close, Oakland had a late garbage-time TD). Jon Gruden is an idiot.
- Many people think that the Packers loss to New England signals an end to the Mike McCarthy era in Green Bay. I hope it doesn’t, because the Packers situation is getting more dysfunctional by the day and there’s nothing on Earth (other than a Bears win) than watching the Packers flounder.
- On the other hand, if Green Bay fires McCarthy and brings in a coach with a new offensive system, it would be fun to watch King Aaron have to scrap his current offensive system and learn something new at age 35.
- BTW in case you haven’t noticed, Aaron Rodgers (with a couple of godlike exceptions) isn’t playing very well this year overall, just like last year. When he puts on the cape and carries the team, he’s still “the guy”, but he’s missing a lot of open passes and he’s in his head a lot this year.
- I wonder if this is the season that the Packers fans will finally admit what most of them have known for a while… that they root for a God Level QB, one decent WR and 51 “random other guys”
- In case I have been unclear these first 8 weeks of this season, let me restate something. Jon Gruden is an idiot.
So what do you think Bears fans? Spill the beans!